Answered By: Stephanie Folse Last Updated: Aug 02, 2016 Views: 121
Special Collections is open to the TCU community and researchers working on specific research projects. Special Collections material does not circulate and can be used in our Reading Room during our regular hours. Some materials are stored offsite, please contact staff before your visit to ensure your material can be accessed in a timely manner.
Consult this page for our guidelines in accessing and researching the collections.
Guidelines for use of Special Collections
- All researchers must register and provide photo identification. Registration is required once per fiscal year.
- Researchers must sign in daily.
- All personal items such as backpacks, briefcases, purses, laptop cases, coats and other non-essential research items are to be stored in lockers or other designated areas in the reading room.
- Food and drink (including water) are prohibited in the reading room.
- Pencils are allowed for note taking. Ink pens or markers are not permitted.
- Items should not be marked on, folded, or altered in any way.
- The existing order and arrangement of archival material must be maintained. If an item is out of order, tell a staff member.
- Only one box is allowed on a research table at a time.
- Some collections may require written permission from source to research or duplicate. Consult with staff.
- Access may be denied when papers are awaiting processing or when the physical condition warrants. Consult with staff.
- The reading room is a designated “quiet zone.” Cell phones should be silenced and conversations kept at a low volume.
Reproductions & Copyright
Special Collections provides photocopies and scans. Material deemed by staff to be too fragile to be scanned or copied will not be reproduced. We will not copy material that would violate copyright law (see copyright policy below).
Cell phone and digital cameras may be used to capture images of material for the convenience of the researcher. These images may not be published in any way without prior permission of Special Collections staff.
Photocopies cost $0.10 per page. Due to the uniqueness of the material, Special Collections staff must make photocopies for researchers. Small orders can often be processed immediately, larger orders will be completed in the order received. Photocopies made on 11” x 17” paper are $0.25 per page.
Unless otherwise requested, images are scanned at 300 dpi.
Price per scanned image:
- $2 for students and TCU faculty/staff
- $5 for all other clientele
- Price per CD: $1
Scans can also be delivered via email or Dropbox.
There are no publication fees currently in effect. However, we do require that patrons request permission to publish so that we may guide them to the proper source to grant permission and provide the preferred citation once permission has been granted.
Please make a check or money order payable to TCU Library and mail to:
Mary Couts Burnett Library
Texas Christian University
TCU Box 298400
Fort Worth, TX 76129
Orders are normally completed and mailed within five working days of receipt. We will contact you if it will take longer than five working days to process your order.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
Providing reproductions does not constitute permission to publish or reproduce material in print or electronic form.
Contact Special Collections for information on the copyright status of a particular item and permission to publish or reproduce.
Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source:
(Name of collection). Special Collections, Mary Couts Burnett Library, Texas Christian University.
Ask a Librarian
Call the TCU Library Reference Desk at 817.257.7117 or find who you want to call in the staff directory
Chat with Us
Chat online with a TCU Librarian
Text us at 817.962.2544. Standard messaging rates apply.