Last Updated: Oct 17, 2019 Views: 242
Who is Mary Couts Burnett?
The story of the library's namesake, Mary Couts Burnett, is at once tragic, poignant and heroic. Born in 1856, she was one of five daughters of Colonel James Robertson Couts, a prominent banker and rancher in Parker County. The Colonel is known to have been an admirer of Addison Clark who, with his brother Randolph, founded in Thorp Spring the school which would eventually become Texas Christian University.
Raised in Weatherford, Mary first married Claude Barradel and was widowed. After Barradel's untimely death she was wooed and won by wealthy cattleman S. Burk Burnett, himself a widower. The one child born to the couple, S. Burk Burnett, Jr., died as a young man.
By 1920 the relationship between husband and wife had grown tense and Mrs. Burnett expressed fears that her husband was trying to kill her. Burnett claimed in court that his wife was suffering from "hallucinations" and won a sanity judgement against her. He was further successful in having her committed to a limited asylum in a private Weatherford home where she was kept virtually a prisoner until she engineered her own release on the very day, in 1923, of Burk Burnett's death. With the aid of her physician she then set about to free herself and to obtain her "widow's half"—Texas being a community property state—of the estate which Burnett had actually willed almost entirely to his granddaughter, Anne Burnett. She succeeded in both these efforts.
Then, in December of 1923, she surprised and shocked TCU by informing the university it would receive nearly her entire estate in trust—something over $3 million (equivalent to about $36 million in 1991 dollars). Before this moment, Mrs. Burnett had no known ties with or interest in the university. One story has it that Burk Burnett, a notoriously rough-edged character, had plainly expressed that no church or school would ever get any of his money so that Mary's gesture may have been one of defiance towards her late husband.
Though she did not live to see it fully completed before her death, she was driven past the library building which would bear her name when construction was well advanced in 1924.
TCU Library milestones
- AddRan Male and Female College opens in Thorp Spring
- AddRan Literary Society develops a small collection of books
- Major John T. Walton donates 300 books to Walton Literary Society
- Name of school becomes AddRan Christian University
- Edwin J. Toof of New Haven, Connecticut, gives the University 1,045 books; a library is formed from these three collections
- AddRan Christian University relocates to Waco; library of 2,044 volumes is valued at $3,000
- Library is designated a U.S. government document depository
- Name of school is changed to Texas Christian University; Mabel Grey Crosse is named as first librarian
- Mrs. M.B.M. Gibbons succeeds Miss Crosse
- Book collection is cataloged by Dewey Decimal Classification system
- Mrs. E.C. Boynton becomes librarian
- Nell Andrew, Mrs. Boynton’s successor, becomes the first librarian of long tenure
- The Library Association, an organization to promote the general interest of the library, is formed on February 10; fire on March 22 destroys the Main Building housing the library of 8,000 volumes valued at $15,000; TCU moves to Fort Worth and holds classes in downtown building; students use the Fort Worth Carnegie Library
- TCU moves to present campus; library is 24’ x 36’ room on second floor of the Main Building
- Earliest annual report of the library shows 4,716 volumes
- Library is re-designated a U.S. government document depository due to move to move to new Congressional District
- The University announces the Mary Couts Burnett gift in December; $150,000 is designated for the library building
- Mary Couts Burnett Library is dedicated on February 27; holdings number 30,000 at the time; Nell Andrew resigns; Arthur Curry becomes fifth librarian
- With the Great Depression, enrollment drops dramatically and book budget is cut to $100
- Bertie Hall Mothershead, acting librarian since 1933, is named sixth librarian
- North Texas Regional Union List of Serials is published—the first library cooperative effort in the region
- Fine Arts Library opens in Ed Landreth Hall
- C. Glenn Sparks becomes seventh librarian
- William Luther Lewis Collection of English and American Literature, gift of the Amon G. Carter Foundation, is dedicated on May 27
- Construction begins on library addition
- First printed library handbook for students is prepared
- Library building first expansion is dedicated on March 5; holdings number 330,000
- Sunday library hours are instituted
- Library Committee of Inter-university Council of Dallas and Fort Worth Metropolitan Areas holds first meeting; Library holdings pass the half-million mark
- Paul Parham becomes University Librarian (eighth librarian)
- Computerized circulation operation begins on July 14, marking advent of technology in the library’s operations
- Pate Presidential Collection on the American presidency
- Friends of the TCU Libraries is organized on January 28; Committee to plan the expansion of the library is appointed in November
- Library’s Centennial gift to the University is the completion of reclassification of book collection by the Library of Congress system, begun in 1966
- Contract signed with Online Computer Library Center, Inc. (OCLC) provides access to shared cataloging database
- Computer database searching becomes part of reference service
- Froissart’s Cronycles is added as library’s millionth item in January; Ground is broken on April 11 for library addition
- Expanded Mary Couts Burnett Library, designed by Walter Netsch of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, is dedicated on March 25
- Abell Antique Map Collection given to Special Collections
- Pate-Newcomer Collection on the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Dr. Fred Heath becomes University Librarian (ninth librarian)
- First CD-ROM databases
- Implementation of library’s first Integrated Library System (ILS); Speaker James C. Wright, Jr. Archives
- TCU registers the internet domain name “tcu.edu” and the library’s first website follows
- Van Cliburn International Piano Competition Archives; Library begins use of leased storage in downtown Fort Worth
- Library offers access to research databases on the Internet; users with modems can access databases and library catalog 24/7; Bob Seal becomes Library Dean (tenth librarian)
- Annual Library Staff Excellence Award funded by the Friends of the TCU Library
- Library begins computer support for local Cultural District Library Consortium (CDLC) museum libraries
- Library acquires the Amon G. Carter, Jr. Collection
- Bistro Burnett dedicated by Chancellor Michael R. Ferrari; Jack B. Friedman Judaic Collection
- Library implements Information Commons
- Luxembourg ambassador presents gift of Bertrand Ney’s Between Two Rings sculpture; Marvin and Jan Gearhart Reading Room dedication; W.B. “Judge” Hamilton Audio Visual Center
- Frog Pods with Student Government Association (SGA) funding added to the Information Commons; Library accepts electronic dissertations and theses from TCU graduate students
- Dr. June Koelker becomes Library Dean (eleventh librarian)
- Library begins 24-hour service, 5 days a week; Library makes streaming videos available
- First compact shelving installed
- Library Annex opens as a permanent off-campus, high-density storage site
- Dedication of the newly renovated Mary Couts Burnett Library; Sumner Academic Heritage Room
Information from Walking TCU: A Historic Perspective by Joan Hewatt Swaim. Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1992; Prologue: The TCU Library to 1983 by Betsy Feagan Colquitt. Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1983; and the TCU Library Dedication booklet, 2015.
Ask a Librarian
Use our online form.
Call the TCU Library Reference Desk at 817.257.7117 or find who you want to call in the staff directory
Chat with Us
Chat online with a TCU Librarian
Text us at 817.962.2544. Standard messaging rates apply.